• Scholarship amount: $5000
• Name of Winner: Danny Pietruszewski
• College Attending: U of M
ATH – Athlete
Hometown: South St. Paul, Minn.
Previous School: South St. Paul H.S.
OVERVIEW: Ranked as a two-star prospect by 247Sports • 247Sports tabs him as the No. 11 athlete in Minnesota and the No. 47 overall prospect in the state.
- Danny was a three-year (13, 14, 15) letter winner for South St. Paul in football as Packer quarterback
- He earned All-Conference honors for 2014 and 2015, and All-State honors in 2015
- He led the Packer football team to the conference title in 2014 and 2015, and section title in both years as well
- As captain in 2015, he led the Packers to the Pro-Bowl 4A Championship game. In his three-years as starter, the Packers had a 20-4 record
- He was a four-year letter winner in hockey, earning All-Conference honors in 2014, 2015, and 2016, finishing with 108 career points and serving as captain in 2016.
- Danny also received a letter in track & field, earning All-Conference honors in 2015, and he also lettered in baseball in 2016.
- Danny was selected as South St. Paul High School Honor Athlete for the 2015-16 school year.
- A member of the National Honor Society, Danny made the gold-honor roll for three academic years.
- Played quarterback and punter: throwing for 847 yards and nine touchdowns, while contributing 1,311 rushing yards on 208 carries to go along with 27 touchdowns – also punted 33 times, netting 10 inside the 20-yard line
- Named Second Team All-State and Second Team All-Metro
“Danny Pietruszewski is a kid who enjoyed being in the moment. If the team needed a play, he’d make a play which is why he went 20-4 as a starter. And he also understood the influence he had on others so whereas many young kids will make bad decisions, he was consciously aware of how he influenced those around him and worked hard to make wise decisions. For a gifted 17-year-old kid, he showed a high level of character and maturity.”